airstream speaker replacement

One of my absolute favorite details in our May are our new speakers! The Argosy had 4 originals – 2 in the back and 2 in the front. They, along with everything else original to her, were brittle and yellow and gross. We had some fun ideas how to replace them, but, like everything else, decided to just go with it and see what ended up working out best. As Dave would gladly tell you, I’m actually awful at coming up with a plan for things and absolutely prefer to wing it and eyeball everything as I go. Luckily for me, it usually works out!

Here’s a peek at one of the original speakers. Gross, right?

Sorry about how out of focus it is – I guess I wanted to really show off that nifty fan – which also went promptly in the trash.

And here’s a photo of one of our speakers now!

We (Dave) did tons of research and snagged 4 of these square speakers from Amazon. They had to be customized to fit once we got them here and even after Dave sawed off these extra plastic pieces in the back (which I obviously forgot didn’t take pictures of, ugh), they were still too deep to fit in the original space. The back of the speaker was hitting the  inside of the outer camper wall! That left us with about an inch of space that we needed to fit in between the speaker and the wall.

This is where we got creative and I winged it. 🙂

My dad and I took some oak from my grampa’s old workshop (which is now my parents’ workshop, which was super handy for some of these Airstream projects!), and got to work! We cut them into squares, did some sanding, and added a nice soft edge. Then we cut another square out of the inside to slip the speakers into, did some more sanding, oiled with mineral oil, and THAT’S IT! Dave installed them on the walls, hooked them up and everything works! It was a simple way to add some form to function – because if you know me, it MUST be pretty, too. 🙂

Leave a Reply